Green Background

Friday, February 21, 2014

Antibiotic Induced Depression

So.  I have been realizing that I have depression and have had it maybe since October.  I started antibiotics in August and I realized I had alot of motivation at the time.   I also had a stronger sex drive too.  So whatever I am taking medicine wise has lowered both of these.  I basicaly sit around during the day and wait for the kids to come home and just read my favorite blogs or lyme stuff or watch tv.  I get the stuff done I have to do but there is definately a motivation change since before taking antibiotics.  I haven't really been consistantly taking probiotics or b-vitamins either.  I only mention this becaue b-vitamins are manufactured in the gut and are necessary for virtually every metobolic function in the body.  Antibiotics, destroy even good gut bacteria and these bacteria are necessary for manufacturing b-vitamins in the body.  So I think I have really done myself in on this one. I am not sad or depressed feeling.  I just feel lethargic, unmotivated, am lazy and unproductive but that definitly is within the realm of depression symptoms.  I am going to try and take a neurotransmitter test and organic acid test to assess these things.  And in the meantime up my probiotics and b-vitamins and see if I turn a corner.  It is basically like watching life pass me by when I just sit around like this. Pretty lame. 

1 comment:

  1. Here is Dr. Phuli Cohen's blog on where she talks about depression from Doxycyline and how she had to switch to another medication (omnicef) and felt much better with the switch.

    http://phulicohanmd.com/how-i-am-treating-my-lyme/

    Dr. Hororowitz also calls out the Tetracycline class of drugs because they cause Mitochondrial Dysfunction. Which of course, can affect mood.

    ReplyDelete