Green Background

Monday, August 15, 2011

Feelings & Validation

Well, I am grateful. Today, a relative called, of whom I have had the impression that they think I am a hypochondriac, and they said that Lyme is really bad, like cancer. I am just grateful to have others know how bad the suffering truly is. I had resolved not to mention a single symptom when discussing daily life with this relative because I feel like I am just met with silence. Maybe the fact that I am always researching and talking about my vitamins and my hyper-focus on my health comes across as hypochondria. However, it is not. It is a passion for life. If you had lived a great life and all of a sudden it is snatched from you and you don't know what happened but you know "this is not me" then you might fight and become a little obsessed about regaining your health too. Maybe it's these determined, persistent people that drive doctors and others who don't understand what that is like crazy and then they are labeled a hypochondriac. Not that hypochondriacs don't exist, I am sure they do but passion for getting better is not hypochondria and nor is desperation to get better. Others may just accept their new diagnosis and never give a thought to fighting back. I didn't know all this time it was Lyme causing my symptoms but regardless I have never been content with my condition. I went from being a strong, vibrant young woman to being an overweight, depressed and chronically ill person who couldn't exercise. People (my husband included) thought that was all in my head today. I think validation is so important. When they finally realize and they finally know you truly are suffering, that you are not making this stuff up, that something happened to change you from the person you once were to the person you are today.

I read this on wikipedia today and I couldn't agree more

"Many patients report a lack of understanding among employers, family, and friends as being the most frustrating aspect of Lyme disease. The fatigue that accompanies it often is seen as laziness, or lack of desire, especially after the disease enters its second or third week of treatment".

So, so true.

Anyways. It feels so good to be validated!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like your blog. I have lyme and coinfections too. My blog is michellebeetslyme.blogspot.com if you're interested.
    I appreciate hearing about your treatments, symptoms, and experiences feeling misunderstood or alone. I feel that way lately. Very much.
    I was noticing that you haven't posted since 2014. How have you been?

    ReplyDelete