Green Background

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Suckered!

Today I went to the grocery store and purchased a package of fresh chocolate chip cookies "for the kids". Truly this was my intention but that little voice inside said "you are going to eat them".

Ugh. And I did. I have been doing pretty good making the transition into eating more raw food. Had a salad for dinner with avocado, tomato and lettuce and grilled chicken. I know the avocado is high in fat and chicken is protein which can be hard to digest with Lyme (and my low pancreatic enzyme status) but it is a move in the right direction. I have been juicing and I even bought beets today from the grocery store as well as 2 fresh bunches of cilantro and 2 of parsley, mustard greens (my daughter picked them and I smelled them and threw them in the cart as they past the smell test) and carrots. The lady at the checkout said "someone's eating healthy" but then down came the 5 pound bag of sugar, 6 chocolate fat free jello pudding snacks, a bag of big marshmallows that my daughter asked for and then those chocolate chip cookies. All I went down the baking aisle was for canola oil for the fresh popcorn I make for my kids as an after dinner snack and what I came back with was the oil and about 10 pounds of sugar. I got suckered in. Earlier, I was at the library with my daughter and found a cute book about a pig making a cake and so I decided that when we read the book we could bake the cake as well. Problem is, after eating 8 chocolate chip cookies, yes 8, I have learned something new about myself that I think I have known for a long time. I am a sucker for baked goods. They draw me in. My number one thing - a fresh loaf of white french bread. That is my ultimate. My number one allergy - yeast. Go figure. When I eat bread, I almost choke it down because I think my throat slightly closes up. I know that sounds terrible but I don't have an allergy in the allergy doctor form of the word allergy. I have a delayed allergy which is and IgG response (not the IgE life threatening response) and that allergy is to baker's yeast...my downfall. So, I need to NOT bring these things in the house because they call to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment